Tuesday, June 15, 2010

I miss Sex and the City


So postmortem on SATC2. Spoiler alert if you haven't seen it, but if you're a fan of the show you've either 1. seen it already or 2. you are trapped under something heavy and need emergency assistance.

In the midst of watching the movie I'm thinking this is fun, I missed these 4 friends, yay! But now, weeks later and with more time to reflect, I've come to the following conclusion...what the heck WAS that?

So SATC1, we can agree, had its share of eye candy. Fashion, drama, funny lines from Carrie, yes, yes and yes, all well and good. However, it also had its share of turn your stomach sugar-coated cheese ball one-liners. "Don't forget your love, I'll see you in Saint Louie, you gave me Louise Vuitton"...oh it gags me to even type it out. All that said, I was slightly disappointed but realize the movie powers that be must make these decisions to appeal to the masses. I mean, maybe its too much to ask that the movie be as good as the show. Its just not a direct comparison. Although I discriminate, if SATC1 is on HBO I can't help but watch it. I'm like a moth to a flame. Can't refuse it, can't turn it off. For whatever reason I have this same problem when The Devil Wears Prada is on TV which is an absolutely dreadful movie, so maybe its a personal problem.

Back to SATC2. I had high hopes. I thought, perhaps they got the memo. Perhaps they heard the feedback that 1 was a bit too silly and they should stick with what worked in the show. Clearly, this was not the memo that was received. Okay for starters..its called Sex and the CITY....as in New York CITY. I remember back in the day, back when the show was on HBO, SJP would be interviewed saying "Oh Yes, New York City is the 5th cast member on the show. The city is such an important piece, the show wouldn't be the same without it." Got that right sister. Why the heck are you parading around Abu Dhabi? Seriously. Who goes to Abu Dhabi? Where did the 5th cast member go? And the Charlie's Angels scene where they are running around in burkas. Oh you must be kidding me. Not to mention...why on earth would you POSSIBLY run into Aiden? I mean I love Aiden. I always loved Aiden, but this is a stretch. And then your husband buys you an amazing diamond as a reward for cheating on him? Good thing I still have some anti-nausea meds leftover from vacation.

Alas. I'm a fan of the show. I've been a fan right from the start. Good money says I'll be sporting stilettos lined up with a sweaty wad of cash to buy my ticket to SATC3. I'll drink my Carrie Cosmo and be giddy with anticipation. In the meantime, I'm breaking out my seasons of DVDs, reminiscing of the good ole days. Before the silver screen, before TBS, before Liza's frightening performance...when it was just 4 girls and the City.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...