Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Artist: N.A. Noel + The Sanctuary

Okay, so I can't say I've ever been a big Nancy Noel fan. A few too many cats and quilts for my taste. However, last weekend while in Zionsville, we visited her gallery. I have to say, I was impressed. The space is really beautiful. What was formerly an old Victorian church, Noel has transformed into a warm and inviting gallery. It's hard to criticize her talent. I found myself really enjoying much of her more recent work which has evolved with a smart use of color and a broader range of subject matter. More angels, less kittens.
The former church and current gallery of N.A. Noel, The Sanctuary.
The main gallery room. I liked the old pews in the middle of the room, a likely old church remnant.
Although she is a local artist, her paintings hang in the homes of many notable people, including Oprah Winfrey, Mikhail Gorbachev, Robert Redford and Jane Seymour.
This is a large scale painting that grabbed my attention. The skeleton is a far cry from what I would have expected. She also had some incredible portraits of Native Americans and scenes of Africa which were really beautiful.
When first starting out in the business, Nancy went by the name N.A. Noel because she wanted people to think she was a man as male artists were more respected in the art world at the time.
In the gallery there is also a charming little cafe. A fun spot for a Saturday mimosa.
A mimosa and perhaps a yummy treat.

What I think I was most impressed with was the sheer volume of work in her collections. Downstairs there is a print and framing shop where you can find print after print after print. To amass that amount of work in a lifetime is really something incredible.

In 1970, Noel opened her first art gallery in Broad Ripple Village and went looking for a publisher to make prints of her work shortly thereafter. Unable to find one, she started publishing her prints herself. Since, she has sold over a million prints and thousands of originals.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...